Author: Rachele Ellsworth
Vocabulary Building–Double Dice Add-On Deck provides a motivating way for speech-language pathologists to assist their students in increasing their vocabulary. These 54 cards don’t just quiz students on vocabulary words, they teach them the meaning first and then ask them more in-depth questions to help them gain and retain a deeper understanding. The photographs also help reinforce the target word/concept for visual learners. Each card contains a target vocabulary word, a photograph depicting the word/concept, a short definition, and four questions that target:
- Sentence usage
- Which word doesn’t belong
- Naming items/places/situations related to the vocabulary word
This is the way vocabulary was meant to be taught to students with language challenges because it actually teaches vocabulary, it doesn’t just test what the student already knows or doesn’t know!
Here is how it works:
1. The instructor places nine (9) cards face down on the table.
2. A student rolls the double dice and it lands on a shape.
3. The student turns over the card with the corresponding shape.
4. The student reads (or listens as the instructor reads) the questions that corresponds to the number on the inner die and the student answers it.
The students get plenty of practice (216 different questions) and enjoy using this activity time and time again!
This is an Add-On deck so it includes:
- Fifty-four (54) total playing cards (cards are large 3″ x 5″).
- Each card contains a photograph and four (4) questions to be answered.
- Answer key, direction, and game variation cards.
- A storage tin.
Includes: 54 playing cards, answer key/direction cards, and storage tin